Strona główna Działy English Zone catchy phrases

Wyświetlanych postów: 15 (wszystkich: 1)
  • Autor
    Wpisy
    girkit
    Participant

If you don’t like english weather … just wait a minute.

(saying)

You fat peaople are really devious !

(little britain)

Malgon
    Participant

It’s really Baltic in here!!!! = it’s extremely cold

Malgon
    Participant

saying:
    Time may be a great healer, but it’s also a lousy beautitian.

(Polish nice equivalent: Nie pomoze krem i roz kiedy baba stara juz! 🙂 )

Mediator
    Członek

Think am a gig – wymawiaja to niezwykle szybko i w zbitce: finkmdzik. A oznacza to emfatyczne "ja cie krece, niemozliwe"/ "nie mam pojecia" / "mam na koncu jezyka".

Malgon
    Participant

are you sure it’s spelt this way?
    gig wymawia sie gig a nie dzik

wymawiane finkmdzik ????
    never heard and to be honest makes no sense to me 🙂

Mediator
    Członek

Wymawia sie finkmdzik. Moj angielski kolega powiedzial mi o tym zwrocie. ale chyba rzeczywiscie nie gig tylko jig. Od Jigsaw. Dzieki za korekte.

A tak na marginesie, gdyby z mowy moich wspolpracownikow usunac "and you know…", to niewiele by zostalo 😆 😆 😆

Malgon
    Participant

hehe,

no to jeszcze nie jest ze mna tak zle 😉

girkit
    Participant

Hungry enough to chew out the crotch of a rag doll

(z filmu 'ghost world’ – chwytliwe na tyle ze uzywam przy wendingmaszynach) 8)

montse
    Członek

A Sticky Wicket is a difficult or awkward situation.

It comes from the expression To Bat On A Sticky Wicket, related to cricket. The wicket is the pitch area where the ball bounces in front of the 3 stumps and 2 bails on top, which the batsman has to defend. On rainy days the wicket becomes difficult to play on because the grass goes soft and the ball doesn’t bounce properly; it’s more difficult for the batsman to hit the ball.

ex: Shit! This is a really sticky wicket, I’ve just broken my mum’s old vase. She’ll go crazy when she finds out.

ex: Harry on personnel dept. is batting on a sticky wicket. The managing director has told him he needs to get rid of 3 employees due to budget reduction.

Malgon
    Participant

some catchy idiomatic expressions with the following:
    [b:77f4c80f49]Screws/Nails/Tools/Hammer [/b:77f4c80f49]

1. it’s a poor workman who quarrels with his tools (Polish zlej baletnicy nawet rabek u spodnicy …) putting blame on something else rather than yourself

2. to put a screw on someone = to put pressure (because screws were once a common instrument of torture 😉 )

3. to have a screw loose = be slightly mad / insane (humorous – lekko szurniety?)

4. to have one’s head screwed on the right way = opposite of to have a screw loose – so to be sensible and intelligent

5. as hard as nails – without sentiment / feeling (bez skrupulow)

6. to pay on the nail = to pay on the exact date when money is due ( w sam czas)

7. to drive a final nail into someone’s coffin – cause extreme unhappiness (wbic ostatni gwozdz do trumny)

8. to hit the nail on the head – to find exactly the right answer in 1 or 2 words

9. come under a hammer = to be sold / put up for auction (pojsc pod mlotek 😉 )

10. to go hammer and tongs at (a job) =
    work with all one’s will (pracowac z calych sil) /
    quarrel furiously (okropnie sie klocic)

11. to take a sledgehammer to crack a nut = to use unnecessary force to achieve something (jak nie siłą to młotkiem ?)

12. not to touch someone with a pair of tongs = to avoid someone at all costs (nawet kijem nie dotknac 😉 )

13. to call a spade a spade = to speak bluntly / plain truth (nazywać rzeczy po imieniu)

14. by hook or by crook = by all means (po trupach do celu)

15. to rake in the money = make money very fast, huge profits (niezłą kasę kosić )

16. to be hooked on = become addicted (to a drug/a preson/ a habit a sport, etc)

17. to get down to brass tacks = concentrate on essentials (zejść na ziemię )

🙂

girkit
    Participant

violence is the last bastion of moral cowardice 8) ( little britain)

Malgon
    Participant

When children are playing outside in (proper cold snowy) winter –
    mother can say: Come back home when you feel you’ve got
    [b:4b86087f8c]apple cheeks[/b:4b86087f8c] = red from cold 🙂

Malgon
    Participant

He has sprouted a moustache (od to sprout – kielkowac) – Zaczely mu wyrastac wasy 🙂

to lose one’s wool – wsciekac sie

slack season – martwy sezon
    slack hours – slaby ruch (w interesie)

to face the racket – ponosic skutki swojego postepowania

to be under sb’s thumb – byc pod pantoflem !

touch and go (eg situation) – niepewny, krytyczny, ryzykowny

pick-a-back – na barana (na plecach)

🙂

Mediator
    Członek

Czy mozna powiedziec o kims, ze… she had turned me into stone and then passed me by, dissapeard in the dark , left me thinking that such a beauty could only be dream and anything else, couldn’t she? Czy moze "left me think" ?

Dziekuje za podpowiedz – metaforyka kladzie sie pokotem gdy siegne po jezyk Szekspira :lol:, a bez metafory czasem ani rusz…

Malgon
    Participant

she had turned me into stone ?????????? (nigdy nie slyszalam takiej metafory, znajde lepsze okreslenie – jedyne co mi teraz do glowy przychodzi to : she rendered me speechless)
    and then passed by me dissapearing in the dark , left me thinkING that such beauty could only be a dream and nothing else, (couldn’t it) ?

wprowadzilam minimalne zmiany ….

Wyświetlanych postów: 15 (wszystkich: 1)
  • <a href="/login/">Zaloguj się</a> aby odpowiedzieć. Nie masz jeszcze konta? <a href="/login/?action=register">Zarejestruj się</a>.